Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Elbow epiphany

This may be the strangest analogy I've ever come up with.

I was at a function last night - not a particularly fascinating one. At one stage I was standing with a group of people listening to the speaker. I was in my standard 'not really into this' pose - my arms were crossed. Because I was wearing short sleeves, at some stage in my trance of boredom I noticed how smooth my elbows are now.

The skin on my body easily becomes dry and flaky (love that crocodile skin look!), so I make sure I put body lotion on at least once a day. My elbows in particular can become very dry and patchy - they will become quite sore and cracked if I don't look after them.

But for years they have stayed soft and smooth - that's because when I put lotion on my arms I put it first on my elbows and then spread it out from there. I do this without even thinking about it - it's totally automatic.

OK, I know you're bored now - where the hell is Sue going with this?

It's all about habits. I trained myself to have smooth elbows; it's just part of my daily routine. Somehow, I must be able to train myself to make healthy food choices - not having to think about each and every bite, but just automatically eating what is good for me.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Love the analogy.......I can so relate :)