Sunday, December 6, 2009

Poised

I'm ready to start my 'proper' training programme tomorrow. I've been doing some training in the last week, but now it's time to get serious.

My PT and I have worked out a three phase approach based on what's happening with the holidays etc - things are a bit all over the place in 9 weeks from now till the triathlon on 6 February.

First there's the plan to get through from now till when I finish work on the 23rd. Then there's the stepped up version for while I'm on holiday till 18 January. Then I'll have three weeks of fine tuning when I'm back at work (and the gym) again.

So, for the next almost three weeks it works like this:
Monday: PT session with Karl, concentrating on the muscles needed for the various triathlon disciplines.
Tuesday: 5-8km ride on the roads near home
Wednesday: 3km walk/run (run as much as I can and walk the rest)
Thursday: Ride again
Friday: rest
Saturday: walk/run again
Sunday: swim - working on building distance up as much as possible

He wants me to do all my running and riding on the road instead of in the gym - no matter what the weather!

On days when I'm not training in the morning I'll use the Wii to do yoga before work, just to get a really good stretch.

Phase two will have much more concentration on swimming (going for every second day) as that's where I'm weakest.

Craig and I are planning to spend most of our break in the caravan, probably at Paekakariki (but if the weather's crap we'll head elsewhere), so at least I'll have a good beach to swim at.

I want to set a real goal for the triathlon (rather than just to finish), but I need to do a couple of swims first so I can work out what time to aim for.

3 comments:

Zanna said...

Hells bells - I don't think you'll have time for Christmas with this schedule - I'm properly impressed!

FREEDOM said...

GO Sue GO Sue said in a chanting finish line sortta way u can do it girl...writing and reading this bought back fond memories of your support and walking with me when I came to Wellington for real duathlon all those moons ago.
Oh how the mighty did fall-cant even walk without my stick now.

Anne said...

I'm impressed as well! Don't know how you can swim in the sea in NZ -it has to be tropical for me!