Monday, December 21, 2009

Phase 1 complete

We had our family Christmas dinner yesterday - it was easier than juggling kids working on Christmas Day, wanting to be with partners' families, wanting to be their other parents, all that sort of thing.

So, we whipped up a Christmas feast that consisted of:
Rotisserie boned shoulder of pork (all 6kg of it!) marinated overnight in ginger beer and stuffed with dried apples and prunes
A whole (very large) blue nose, stuffed with parsley pesto and lemon slices, baked in the BBQ
A variety of salads and vege dishes (all suitable for the vegan in our midst)
A three tone chocolate cheesecake the size of a small apartment building
My Christmas ice cream (Kapiti vanilla ice cream with fruit mince and rum stirred through it and refrozen)
Lots of yummy summer berries
Banana tofu ice cream (which I have never forced myself to taste but the vegan swears is lovely)

Consequently, I'm feeling a bit bloody jaded today - but it's actually a relief to know it's all done and I won't spend Christmas Eve rushing around like a lunatic all day and cooking half the night. Even better - I WON'T HAVE TO GO NEAR A SUPERMARKET ALL DAY!

Phase 2, on Christmas Day itself, is the traditional chicken and champagne brunch at my sister's place. All I need to do for that is bake a couple of panettone in the morning - sweet as!

3 comments:

Zanna said...

Neat - so good to have everything so nicely under control. Hope you have a brilliant Christmas and that 2010 has lots of wonderful things in store for you. Zxx

Jenny said...

Wishing you a great Christmas.....especially as all the hard work of a Christmas Dinner is over and done with LOL
Enjoy your time away and please say Hi to Helena. We actually hope to be up that way at the end of January/beg February so may even see her myself :)
Have fun
Hugs
Jenny :)

Anne said...

Have a wonderful Christmas:-)

Enjoy your holiday - sounds perfect. And like Jenny can you say hello to Helena from me:-)