Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oweeee!

Well, I knew a new trainer would push me! Very impressed with his techniques, although my quads might not agree with me.

Had a great chat with the nutritionist - she has a very sensible, straightforward approach. Didn't set my bullshit alarm off once!

I am heavier than I thought, but at least now I know and can start working on my long term health strategy. 93kg just doesn't work for me - I want a 7 at the front, not a 9!

I've spent most of the last three years in the low 80s, but that extra 10kg has managed to wrap itself around me in the last 9 to 12 months. Looking back, I can recognise now the destructive cycle of short periods of severely limiting my food intake followed by the inevitable bounce back to really poor eating habits.

What I need now is to find a practical, sustainable way to manage my food. I recognise this may always be a struggle for me - that's just the way I'm made - but I need to work around this.

In talking with the nutritionist yesterday, I was reminded of some of the things I used to do. Some can work for me again, some just won't fit any more, some new ones may need to be thought up.

For instance...one of my real danger times for mindless snacking is when I get home from work. It's almost a Pavlovian response for me - walk in door, put food in mouth. So I need a strategy to avoid that. What I used to do was get changed into training gear straight away and then head out for a walk or ride. So I'm going to start doing that again - but that won't work for me every day. So I need another distraction - and this time it's going to be the garden. I have some very sadly neglected tomatoes and chilli plants, and it's time to start getting ready to put the winter garden in. And if the weather is bad (good chance of that here), I have a pile of mending to get to!

I know from past experience this sort of thing can help - I just need to plan and put things into action.

2 comments:

Zanna said...

Yep I'm a planner too and if I'm busy I don't think about eating - and it's the same time of day that catches me too. Good luck getting back on track xx

gingersnapper said...

I'm going to start weighing myself in kg instead of pounds - it sounds so much smaller!