Thursday, February 11, 2010

Living in a vacuum

In chatting with the nutritionist and my new trainer, I have come up a few realisations.

In the last couple of years, whenever I have tried to lose weight I don't seem to be able to get any momentum. This has been frustrating for me, particularly as in one year when I was 40 I managed to lose 46kg.

What I have realised is that then I made weight loss very much the main focus of my life.

I really was living in a vacuum. Very little else got my attention. I managed my food, exercised, spent lots of time with my son and worked pretty damn hard too. Not a very well rounded life.

One of the main things missing from that list is putting any effort into my relationship with Mark. Now whether our relationship was in trouble before I started to lose weight, or whether my single-minded focus on weight loss started the trouble - well I guess the answer to that depends which side you look at the question from! The truth probably lies somewhere in between the two.

Anyway, our relationship only last two years from when I started losing weight.

Now, I am in a very happy and fulfilling relationship. Craig makes me feel loved and valued as I never have in my life before.

And I am not going to jeopardise that by living in the weight loss vacuum again.

4 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh I so know what you are saying!!! I really understand this. I will never put myself into that type of situation again and know that whatever I do - actually living has to be included! So what if a wine or three or a meal out here and there slows down any loss? At least there will be living and fun balanced with the loss.

Julie's Journey said...

I may be naive but there has to be a balance. Be careful with you diet, especially as you get older, but enjoy life and embrace the good times. Exercise because of the way it makes you feel not because it is something you have to do and I know you love it. Most of all though, celebrate your good health. Long may you live and love.
Juliexxx

Margaret said...

Absolutely spot on... life is for the living, my calendar for today states " When we accept and celebrate our uniqueness, we take our place in the universe... ( I lost 20 kgs after my marriage broke up, I doubt it was a cause and effect, more like I started to accept myself as my own person, if you know what I mean, I was neither happy nor unhappy in my marriage, just existing...now like you I have a man who I am happy to be with and who loves me unconditionaly, I will lose more weight, for me...just for me.

Anne said...

It took me a while to discover that it is all about balance. I was so into it all to start with that I didn't even like going out to a restaurant in case I mucked up my diet.

Life sounds great for you nowdays - enjoy:-)