Monday, July 6, 2009

The weight and food thing

It’s now over two years since I ended my previous relationship. At that point I weighed around 78kg – a loss of around 55kg.

I then proceeded to fall madly in love with most unseemly haste. Craig and I have been together for two years. Along with insane happiness came the apparently inevitable weight creep – about 5kg in the next six months or so.

And then the great crash – bike crash that is. That cartwheel on my mountain bike on New Year’s Day 2008 resulted in a grade 4 dislocation of my AC joint and a ruptured rotator cuff. My decision to avoid surgery left me inactive for six months.

So there I was in May last year, just back from a trip to Europe with two of my sisters, pretty damn unfit and weighing in at 88kg.

I determinedly buckled down to some serious exercise and weight control. Well, the exercise thing has stuck – and so has the weight!

I can maintain the discipline about my eating for a couple of weeks, maybe a month and then I get all slack again and the weight creeps back up. Or we go on holiday and I eat and drink like the end is nigh!

So, the lightest I’ve been in the last year is 82kg and the heaviest is 88kg.

I’m not despondent about this, but I DO want to do something about it.

One of the problems here is self-control. Oh dear, what a blindingly obvious thing to say! Let me explain a bit further…

I want to control my own eating. I don’t want to go back to using something else to control my eating – like counting points, planning every last mouthful or following a food plan.

I need to be able to do this my way – because I need to be able to do this for the rest of my life.

I want to just cook everyday meals – but make them healthy and get the portion size right for me. I want to have the occasional treat – occasional has to mean once or twice a week, not a day.

So, here I go again, trying to get this last 15kg off. And the first week has been a huge success – I weigh the same today as I did last Monday!

Oh well, try harder this week….

3 comments:

Margaret said...

I can so empathise with you, my marriage ended in 2006, I am like you now in a very happy, fulfilling relationship, which has seen my wining and dining add to my "bulk" luckily now 3 years down the track I have taken control and slowly but surely am easing down again, must say without too much pain and sacrifice.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

hmm there is a pattern here. I was light in my miserable marriage but now that I am in a new happier one I am struggling with my weight!

I would much rather be happy and round though :)

Anne said...

Well it's not a new relationship with me, but I feel in a similar place to you. I just want to eat well, I don't want to count points again. Good luck:-)