Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Trying not to complain...

...but really, this weather is past a joke. Feels like it's been winter for four months already. Of course, being Wellington, it will stay winter till early September and then blow 40 bastards till Christmas...

Starting to see some downward movement on the scales. I'm feeling very motiviated, but know I need to watch this because I've been here about a gazillion times in the last two years.

Exercise is great - it's all what I'd call 'high value' stuff; basically working really hard at it instead of faffing about. Tomorrow I'm aiming to do 10,000m on the rowing machine and Saturday Craig and I are booked into an introductory fitness class at our gym - a sampler of all their different fitness classes. Craig has never done a class before (and I've only done a couple) so it should be interesting. He enjoyed this style of exercise while we were at Outward Bound - although the co-ordination of grapevines and box steps had him a bit buggered. Maybe I can smuggle a camera in...

In the meantime, trying to stay warm - and using photos of our big trip in January to remind me summer will come again.


Henderson Bay in the Far North - this one was a must-stop for a swim!

Do I look hot and bothered? I should hope so! We rode into Pandora Bay (north of Spirits' Bay on the way to Cape Reinga). There are no roads, just this rough track, most of which was impossible to ride. But the reward - a completely deserted and absolutely beautiful beach. This photo was taken at the top of the ridge on the way back out; over an hour of pushing the bikes uphill and the temperature was over 30. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Sunrise over Houhora Harbour. Bliss.

4 comments:

Lynda said...

I agree with you about winter, not my time of year at all! Luckily we have a great heat pump system and winter in Auckland is not nearly as bad as Wellington. Lovely photos too.

Anne said...

I'm another one looking forward to Summer days ahead. I also remember those Wellington winds!

Shauna said...

holy moly that beach is stunning... roll on the summer, but let us keep it for a wee while yet!

Kathryn said...

I'm so sick of winter! The gym sampler sounds like a great idea though. It's good to mix things up :D