Friday, April 23, 2010

Move that bus! Part 2!

Yep, just got the heading up yesterday and then the powercut brought us all to a grinding halt...

Anyway, Tracy got it pretty well spot on after my last post.

I might be letting the cat out of the bag too soon here, but hopefully no-one from work still reads my blog!

We are going to rent out the house and travel New Zealand in a bus. It's SO exciting.

We've been tossing around lots of options on how to do this, and have travelled around a fair bit in the last few weeks looking at different possibilities. We even drove to Whangarei over Easter to look at a bus.

We have now decided to have a 9m bus converted to a motorhome. It works out a bit more expensive than buying an existing one, but it means we get exactly what we want.

The conversion is being done by The Bus Boy Company in Taupo. They are really energetic and positive - not once have they said 'No' or 'Can't be done' to anything we've asked. A couple of initial layouts have been done, now we just have to find the chassis to convert - and we've got one we're pretty keen on.

We're hoping to be on the road before December (Craig hasn't told work about this yet).

I finish work at the end of July, then I'm going to do a bit of study to brush up on some of my old skills. I'm hoping to do freelance proofreading and a bit of copy writing - something I can do from anywhere so long as I have a computer.

Craig will stop work a month or two before the bus is finished - there's a fair bit of tidying up to do on the house before we rent it out.

Then we'll be gypsies!

9 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh my goodness, how exciting. I don't know anything about this kind of life so could you tell us a bit more? Like do you have to stop at a motor camp or are you legally allowed to stop elsewhere and if so, how do you know where? What an amazing experience for you - so good to actually get on with living the dream :)

Anne said...

We met so many Australians doing exactly that on our travels around WA! What an amazing thing to be able to do and so exciting!!!

Kat said...

How exciting and what an adventure you two will have!!! My husband and I would love to do something like that after he retires from the military. Enjoy every minute of it.

Tracy said...

WOW how exciting!!! You are going to have so much fun getting it built & planning this trip - goo non both of you.

gingersnapper said...

How exciting! I can't wait to read more about this and see pictures. I've always wanted to do this too.

It used to be that in the US you could park overnight in Walmart parking lots. I'm not sure if that's still true.

FREEDOM said...

how exciting hope Christchurch is on the list of places to visit at some time. \


I hope to be in P/N in November

Julie's Journey said...

I cant believe how many new adventures and challenges you have had in the last couple of years. Sounds awesome!

Jenny said...

Woo hoo. Good on you for making this decision. Life is far too short not to follow our dreams. I am sure you will have lots of fun and will take the memories well into old age LOL

Mary said...

OMG I am so excited for you guys! Love your sense of adventure hon...and slightly envious but in a good way - go the gypsy fire in you :-)